WordPress 2.6 / 2.7 + bbPress 0.9 cookie integration plugin

2009-02-26 12:01am by Ann

This plugin is for WordPress 2.6 or 2.7. It enables WordPress to generate cookies that work with bbPress 0.9 so that single sign-on can be accomplished between the two. Follow the usual integration instructions and enable this plugin in your WordPress installation. I also advise clearing your cookies.

The integration is all up and running on my site at BayAnime.com. I’d like to add that I was able to put the plugin together without writing a single line of code! It’s literally all the necessary functions cut and pasted directly from WordPress 2.5.1 pluggable.php, so kudos to WordPress for making it easy!

Download this plugin at WordPress.org.

When you do cookie integration please keep in mind that there are some login hooks in pluggable that might not be called in either WP or bbPress depending on which side your user logged in from. This might affect the functionality of some plugins.

For example, after rerouting all my bbPress logins to WP I realized that the ‘bb_set_current_user’ action hook on a bbPress plugin I used was no longer being called, so I had to incorporate it in on the WP side using the ‘set_current_user’ hook.

bbPress 1.0 users should use this plugin instead.

14 Responses to “WordPress 2.6 / 2.7 + bbPress 0.9 cookie integration plugin”

1. baron says:

hi. Thanks for plugin

perfect.

Regards

2. [...] Install and activate SuperAnn’s WordPress plugin for WordPress / bbPress cookie integration. [...]

3. bedbugger says:

Would it work on an already installed bbpress or do you have to do a fresh install?

Thanks!

4. bedbugger says:

I have answered my own question: I now have integrated logins and it seems to be fine (WP 2.7.1 and bbpress 0.9.0.4).

5. bedbugger says:

Oh and I did not reinstall. :-)

• Ann says:

Yup, as long as you’ve integrated the user databases and set the cookie paths to be the same on both sides, you can enable this plugin and it will work as expected.

Congratulations on your successful integration! :)

6. Doc4 says:

A life saver. Please note that upgrading WordPress to 2.7.1 with bbpress .9.0.4 already installed works without any issues.

7. RichB says:

I got a circular error when i installed the plugin.

How can I fix this?

• Ann says:

Try clearing your browser cookies.

• Sue says:

I have the same circular error I think.
        “Redirect Loop
        Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
        The browser has stopped trying to retrieve the requested item. The site is redirecting the request in a way that will never complete.

* Have you disabled or blocked cookies required by this site?
        * NOTE: If accepting the site’s cookies does not resolve the problem, it is likely a server configuration issue and not your computer.”

I tried clearing my cookies but it still produced the same error. Is there another option?

• Sue says:

Never mind. I had to log out and restart the browser. That did the trick. Thanks for the wonderful plugin!

8. [...] superann’s plugin to downgrade WP 2.7.1’s cookie handling for compatibility with BBP [...]

9. Liz says:

I’m obviously skipping some crucial step here that’s obvious to everyone but me. I can’t get to the point of “following the usual instructions” to integrate the databases because the authorization keys don’t match; that’s the reason I’m using the plugin. I know that there is some simple answer here, someone *please* explain it to me like i’m a four year old!